DuBois camshaft explanation

To: Jeremy DuBois <jer@thlogic.com>
Subject: DuBois camshaft explanation
From: Jarl/Carol <deboer@pacbell.net>
Date: Thu, 19 Dec 1996 08:53:29 -0800
Jeremy DuBois wrote:

> > I should have known better. When I sent my original cam to Isky to be
> > reground, I sent one of my worst ones. And to get the extra lift, they had
> > to add to the lobes somehow.
> >

>   Actually, contrary to common sense, you take material AWAY from the base
> of the lobe to increase lift.

Ah, but Jeremy, that's true enough when you are regrinding a camshaft to
inprove performance, the original inquiry concerned a shaft worn badly
enough that it required buildup to regain its normal profile. THAT is
when you get into the problem of unsatisfactory wear. Basically, when
the tip of the lobe is worn too far, you have a junk core.   Jarl