The Rebuild is on the Wall...

To: <MGS%AUTOX.TEAM.NET@mvdns1.mv.Unisys.COM>
Subject: The Rebuild is on the Wall...
From: PHILIPPE TUSLER <TUSLER@mp050.mv.unisys.com>
Date: Thu, 26 Dec 1996 15:08:57 -0800 (PST) (23:08 UT)
Well, I guess the handwriting is on the wall for a rebuild of TINTIN's
engine, but before I jump off that particular bridge, I'd like to get
some of the list wisdom:
  Tintin's been smoking a lot lately. A couple of tune-ups have
helped a lot, but not eliminated it.  In the process of looking for the
cause of the smoking, a compression check showed 130,130,110,130 lbs
per cylinder, after three compression strokes.  A squirt of 15wt oil
into the cylinders raises the compression to 160,160,130,160.
So the real question is: is the loss of compression in #3 necessarily
past the rings, or could it be valves?  I almost always get a really
good puff of blue smoke on morning startup, so the valve guides and/or
seals are worn.
  If the rings are leaking, what are the consequences of putting off the
rebild?  Do the cylinders necessarily need to be bored out?  If there is
just 'normal' wear for a 130,000 mile engine, with no scoring, can new
rings be put in without boring and going over-size?  *Sigh*

*Philippe Tusler - Mission Viejo, CA     | "MILOU"    '57 MGA Roadster *
*A-Mail:   <TUSLER@MP050>                | "TINTIN"   '66 MG/MGB-GT    *
*InterNet: TUSLER@MP050.MV.unisys.com    | "N/A"      '88 ISUZU Trooper*