Re: B-series timing covers & oil throwers

To: BarneyMG@aol.com
Subject: Re: B-series timing covers & oil throwers
From: Kevin Sullivan <kevins@borris.khoros.unm.edu>
Date: Mon, 30 Dec 1996 12:04:15 -0700 (MST)
On Sun, 15 Dec 1996 BarneyMG@aol.com wrote:

> It is commonly stated that:
>
> a.)  The MGA-MkII and early MGB timing covers are the same part number.
> b.)  The MGA-MkII and early MGB timing seals are the same part number.
> c.)  When using the MGB cover on the MGA 1500 or 1600 you must use the MGB
> oil thrower.
>
> It must be right, because I've been using an early MGB timing cover and seal
> on my MGA 1500 for years.  I've also had trouble with the fit of the original
> oil thrower from the MGA when trying to use it with the MGB timing cover.
>  The edge of the oil thrower ring rubs on the inside of the timing cover
> where the seal arrangement is thicker, and if left to run that way will
> eventually wear a groove completely through the cover.  My expedient solution
> to the problem the first time around was to grind the edge off of the oil
> thrower ring so it wouldn't touch the cover.
>
> Now I would like to re-do these parts, but while looking in the Moss catalogs
> for the MGAs and MGBs I notice that they call out the same part number for
> the oil thrower ring (433-815) on all models.  So, if Moss only has one of
> the parts, which catalog is wrong, and which part do they stock?

Hi, Barney.  Look how far behind in reading mg mail.  I put the B seal
and timing cover on and they work well.  My car had a B thrower with an A
thrower in front of it!  So I just took the A thrower off and put it in
the box with the A cover and old disintegrated A pulley.  (I like the B
harmonic balancer -- noticeably smoother.)

Anyway, I've been told (by my local Moss distributor) that Moss sells the
B thrower for A's and B's, i.e. the "flat" one.

This:

not this:

Kevin Sullivan -- 1960 MGA                kevins@khoral.com
Khoral Research Inc.                      http://www.khoral.com