Harmonic balancers, crank questions

To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: Harmonic balancers, crank questions
From: William Eastman <william.eastman@medtronic.com>
Date: Tue, 31 Dec 1996 09:29:47 -0600
I was intrigued be a recent post concerning using an MGB harmonic balancer
on an MGA.  I have loads of questions on this general topic.

I have heard that 1600's are prone to crankshaft cracking.  Could the
addition of a harmonic balancers on later models be in answer to this
issue?

I read somewhere that 1500 and 1600 cranks were differant yet Moss, et al
sell the same crank for both engines.  What gives?

Will the later 5 bearing con rods fit a 3 bearing crank?

In American engines, the harmonic balancer is often counterweighted to make
up for an inherant imbalance of the crankshaft.  Is this true for the MG
balancer?

Where can I buy a harmonic balancer and MGB front cover?  Moss doesn't
carry the front cover and, since I only have MGA catologs, I don't know if
they carry the balancer.

What model balancer should I get?  Will I need a separate pulley?  will it
still line up with my present accessory drive (water pump, generator)

Since 1600 cranks are a bit pricey, anything that I could do in the way of
prevenatative medicine would be of great interest to me.

I look forward to any and all responses.

Thanks
Bill Eastman
61 MGA looking for balance and harmony