Fwd: Headlight Legality

To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: Fwd: Headlight Legality
From: Cancola@aol.com
Date: Fri, 3 Jan 1997 22:14:57 -0500
---------------------
Forwarded message:
Subj:    Re: Headlight Legality
Date:    97-01-03 21:31:33 EST
From:    Cancola
To:      francis@mail.rain.org

<<   Does anybody have the straight skinny
 on headlight legal specifications?  If I ever get the car going, I think
 I'll just drive it until I'm stopped, unless somebody knows something
 horrible about this type of light.      Wayne >>
Wayne ,
        Don't know the skinny or the fat.  But I'm sure you have noticed how
much whiter and brighter on coming head lights have become since the early
eighties.  I don't think you would have any problem in this day and age with
being pulled over for too bright of lamp.  Unless you have a serious
alignment proplem or you fail to dim your lights to oncoming traffic.
         Back in the seventies which you seemed to describing when we were
still in the dark ages as far as U.S. vs European auto lighting, I was
driving a Corvair with Lucas Flamethrowers as they were known.  I believe
they were something like 100 thousand candle power and the U.S. legal limit
was something like 50K.  Anyone feel free to correct  me on these numbers if
you wish.  yeh , right...
          Anyway I never got a second look from the feds while driving at
night, just cause people were flashing their high beams at me from a half
mile away  b4 I even saw them coming.
                                        Bill in Colorado