Re: Optima batteries

To: Scott Gardner <gardner@lwcomm.com>
Subject: Re: Optima batteries
From: Ross Overcash <jroverca@tiac.net>
Date: Sat, 4 Jan 1997 07:11:36 -0500 (EST)
Don't know about Optima Batteries but I can tell you that Sears Batteries (6
volt) are terrible (in my experieince).  I had to replace them in under twoo
yewars (length of warranty was 24 months) and then had to wait ten days for
the batteries to come in.  Needless to say I went to my local NAPA and guess
what, they coul dhave the batteries the next day, cheaper and with a
warranty twice as long as Sears (actuall 50 something monhts).  These
batteries have stareted my daily driver 74B through thick and thin.  We have
had same real cold winters in the Northeast of late and I have only had to
jump start twice because of the cold (the air temp on one occasion was -20)
so I am a believer in NAPA batteries.

At 02:42 AM 1/4/97 -0600, you wrote:
> << Any advantage to buying a DieHard or an expensive Exide as opposed
>to buying a Pep Boys battery of the same cold cranking amps, with
>similar warranty periods?  I have heard that there are only 4   battery
>manufacturers in all of the United States, that battery   technology is
>well-known and utilized.  Accordingly, should one   spend a lot or a
>little?     >>
>
>I like the looks of these Optima batteries.  Anyone have any firsthand
>experience that they would like to share ?  Like, are they worth the
>extra $$$ ?
>
>I only know the Optima batteries from car audio competitions, an
>application for which they are pretty much ideal.  They can handle large
>power spikes, are physically smaller than comparable conventional
>batteries, and are non-vented, zero-maintenance, which gives you more
>flexibility as
>to where to mount the darned things.  Thus, they are VERY popular as
>secondary batteries to power audio systems, isolated from the primary
>battery.  As for using them in place of a regular battery for everyday
>use, it probably wouldn't be worth it.  They are expensive as hell, and
>as long as you can find a Sears/Pep Boys model that will fit in the
>space you have, that's probably the way to go.
>Scott Gardner
><HTML><BODY>
>
><DT>&nbsp;&lt;&lt; Any advantage to buying a DieHard or an expensive Exide
>as opposed&nbsp;&nbsp; to buying a Pep Boys battery of the same cold cranking
>amps, with&nbsp;&nbsp; similar warranty periods?&nbsp; I have heard that
>there are only 4&nbsp;&nbsp; battery manufacturers in all of the United
>States, that battery&nbsp;&nbsp; technology is well-known and utilized.&nbsp;
>Accordingly, should one&nbsp;&nbsp; spend a lot or a
little?&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;
>&gt;&gt;</DT>
>
><DT>&nbsp;</DT>
>
><DT>I like the looks of these Optima batteries.&nbsp; Anyone have any firsthand
>experience that they would like to share ?&nbsp; Like, are they worth the
>extra $$$ ?</DT>
>
><DT>&nbsp;</DT>
>
><DT>I only know the Optima batteries from car audio competitions, an
application
>for which they are pretty much ideal.&nbsp; They can handle large power
>spikes, are physically smaller than comparable conventional batteries,
>and are non-vented, zero-maintenance, which gives you more flexibility
>as</DT>
>
><DT>to where to mount the darned things.&nbsp; Thus, they are VERY popular
>as secondary batteries to power audio systems, isolated from the primary
>battery.&nbsp; As for using them in place of a regular battery for everyday
>use, it probably wouldn't be worth it.&nbsp; They are expensive as hell,
>and as long as you can find a Sears/Pep Boys model that will fit in the
>space you have, that's probably the way to go.</DT>
>
><DT>Scott Gardner</DT>
>
></BODY>
></HTML>
Ross Overcash, 74B, NAMGBR 2-1172, Ayer, MA.