Re: Car won't start

To: JP Labuschagne <Jpl@dbsa.org>
Subject: Re: Car won't start
From: Engelhardt <engel@metro.net>
Date: Mon, 06 Jan 1997 23:48:44 -0800
JP Labuschagne wrote:

> Well after a year it finally happened, this morning on the way to work
> (why doesn't this happen on weekends?) I pulled the starter in my 57 MGA
> and nothing. The fuel pump clicked and the petrol gauge registered but
> nothing further happened.
> I quickly checked the starter motor connection that seemed fine, I
> checked the fuses, I also put the fuse into the middle of the two
> connections but nothing. Now I was running out of time.
> When I get home I will check the battery connections and 'water' levels
> and I will try to borrow a jumper cable (I leant mine to someone) and
> see if I can connect the battery directly to the starter motor (I assume
> the negative terminal to the bit that sticks out from the starter motor
> and is connected to the pull starter switch?
> Any other suggestions?
> Thanks
> '57 MGA 1500
> Safety Fast

I had this problem on my 58. Turned out to be the connection terminal on
the starter motor for the cable was shorting to the starter case. The
terminal is isolated from the case by plastic (nylon?). This had worn
through allowing the current to short. It was easy to fix. I
disassembled the starter and put some shrink wrap tubing in place of the
plastic. Hope your problem is as easy to solve!

Ron
58 MGA