Leaking ball joint boots - auto but not LBC

To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: Leaking ball joint boots - auto but not LBC
From: "Thomas Wannenburg" <twannen@bgsm.edu>
Date: Tue, 7 Jan 1997 17:00:31 -0500 (EST)
Forgive this automotive but not strictly LBC related question.  I submit this
out of admiration for the accumulation of automotive wisdom which appears on my
screen (most days).  Our two daily drivers (Ford Van, Chevy truck - both used
vehicles), have several "booted" suspensoin joints with zerk fittings.  On both
vehicles, some of the boots have burst and grease leaks out when I lube them.  I
am careful not to over lube the remaining intact ones.  Our cars both do at
least 3000 miles every 6weeks and I change the oil and lube the chassis every
4000 miles.  My question to the list is - should I make the effort to replace
the boots, or would it be OK if I just continued with frequent lubes - as on my
LBC?  So far both cars drive well with no play in the steering.(76k and 105k).

Thanks,
Tom Wannenburg
74 Midget.