Re: Windshield Revisited

To: larryhoy@juno.com (Larry A Hoy), wpruitt@charleston.net (wpruitt)
Subject: Re: Windshield Revisited
From: nick.pitt@bbc.co.uk (Nick Pitt)
Date: Fri, 10 Jan 1997 12:09:44 GMT
Warren,
     Are all the parts around the windshield the ones that you took off and
is it the original shell? I agree that this is definitely one of the hardest
jobs there is on a B roadster. In my case this is compounded by the fact
that my rebuild is into a heritage shell and so nothing fits at all! Common
problems seem to be fit with relation to the quarter lights.
     There is no allowance in the design of the frame for any sideways
movement, and if you look at this area on many, many cars you will see that
the fit was 'improved' at the factory by judicious use of a large hammer! I
am told that the best way to get the fit central in relation to the quarter
lights is to make up or rather modify the spacers at the bottom of the
pillars.
     My screen is on but I'm not happy with the fit so this will be my next
job once the car is rolling again (my wheels have just been blast cleaned
and repainted).
     As for the little metal strips with three holes in. These are retaining
strips and fit inside the windscreen pillar side seals and screw to the side
of the windscreen frame. Yes you do need to make a hole in the rubber seal
to get the screw in, and if you are using new seals then you need to use
serious pressure on the screwdriver to actually get the screw anywhere near
the thread in the frame, that is if you can work out where the hole is in
the first place. I suspect that you can get away without these retaining
strips at least whils the seal is new.
     That's all I can think of for now. Good Luck1

          Nick Pitt (73 B Roadster; rebuild ongoing)