Re: Seat belts - '73 roadster

To: Rich Mason <rmason@ro.com>, mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Seat belts - '73 roadster
From: Paul Hunt <on76@dial.pipex.com>
Date: Sat, 11 Jan 97 17:06:56 GMT

> Hi all-
>
> I am doing a temporary installation of a BGT rear seat in my '73 roadst=
er
> and am having an interference problem with the seat back and the seat =
belt
> retractor housings mounted on the lower inboard edge of the wheel arche=
s.
> In a conversation with another '73 roadster owner - he remarked that =
he did
> not have these mechanisms - but did see the mounting bosses.
>
> Was one style standard and the other an option?  Or has someone install=
ed
> later model seat belt retractors in my car?
>
> If these belts are not correct for '73, what do the correct ones use =
for a
> rear attachment point?
>
> Thanks,
>
> Rich Mason
> '73B
> _______________________________
> e-mail-> rmason@ro.com
> www----> http://ro.com/~rmason
> _______________________________

Clausager in "Original MGB" states:-

Jul 66 Roadster and GT, modified seat belt mounting points on rear wheel =

arches.

Dec 67 US Roadsters have seat belt mounting points on tonneau panel inste=
ad of
wheel arch, with quick-release fastening.

Jan 71 Home market roadsters commonised with US roadsters.

Dec 71 Inertia reel seat belts introduced on North American cars; on road=
ster,
rear wing inner panel and rear wheelarch carpets modified to suit, also =
hood
cover and tonneau cover as mounting point moved back on wheelarch coincid=
ing
with introduction of audible warning system.

May 72 Home market (UK) cars: new type of Kangol static set belt ...

Possibly other entries.

When I bought my 73 Roadster the DPO had inertia reels bolted to the unde=
rside
of the tonneau panel where the clip on manual belts used to be fitted. =
 As they
obviously interfered with the operation of the hood (UK meaning) "to rais=
hood, first remove seat belts" the bolts were only finger tight!  I moved=
 then
to the wheel arches using an MGOC fitting kit.

PaulH
73 Roadster (HD&H)
75 V8 (DD)