cold starts, Kai, Peter

To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: cold starts, Kai, Peter
From: William Zehring <zehrinwa@UMDNJ.EDU>
Date: Mon, 13 Jan 1997 09:30:15 -0500 (EST)
Fellow fiends:

Forgive the mixed subject matter; I'm back from a longish weekend and am
catching up on my mgs-digest reading.  I have a few humble remarks to add
to the din:

--While I agree that a regularly driven MG should have no problems
starting at 30F, one that has sat for several weeks may not do so good
(niminally, if there is a slow current drain in the battery...)  What I
do under such circumstances (admitedly rare) is employ a can of break
cleaner (aka starter fluid) and spray a squirt or two into each air
filter element.  This stuff is a very high vapor preasure organic solvent
(I don't know what, maybe ether?) that disperses into the carbs and
combustion chamber quickly, igniting more easily than cold gas.  It gets
the car turning over and seems to increase the liklyhood that the engine
will continue to run once the gas starts to pull in (my logic on it is
that you want as good a vacuum on the cold engine as you can get to draw
the atomized gas in and the ether helps kick the engine over to produce it).

--Kai is only 15???  My god, men, we need to take care of this kid.  He
represents the next generation of MG owners.  Do you think I'd want to
will my B to my nephew???  Get his folks on the line and persuade them
that he needs to stay on line.

--Regarding Peter Egan and his two books: Apart from wondering how the
heck he got such a perfect job, I am a loyal reader of his as well.  One
thing I will say, tho, about his collections.  I would respectfully
object to Scott H's reading the book cover to cover in one day.  SAVOR
it!  Its like his stuff in R&T; it only lasts about two or three pages
and it only shows up 12 times a year.  One is left thirsting for more.  I
know this is a family list here, but its sort of like the...  deed, you
know; the anticipation is almost as thrilling.

I've probably said too much, so have a great week, y'all.

WZ