Re: Cylinder bore damage (and repair ??)

To: maddox@pacbell.net
Subject: Re: Cylinder bore damage (and repair ??)
From: Jarl/Carol <deboer@pacbell.net>
Date: Mon, 13 Jan 1997 09:33:18 -0800
> Cliff Maddox wrote:
>
> Hello (and help)
>
> Does anyone have any experiences relating to repairing a damages 1800cc
> block by sleeving???

There is NO problem with sleeving to repair damage. Be sure that the
shop doing the boring leaves a small "step" or original metal at the
base of the old bore. This way the sleeve can be trapped between the
step and the head as well as being held by the press fit. I've had at
least 50 blocks repaired over my long, checkered, past and have never
had a comeback. This is true even with the 2 or 3 that had actual holes
through the wall into the water jacket. As with pistons, have the sleeve
on hand so the machine shop can bore to fit.   Jarl

PS If you're in the Bay Area, the shop I use is in Pacheco.