Re:still dazed but the fog is clearing

To: boballen@sky.net
Subject: Re:still dazed but the fog is clearing
From: miker15@juno.com (MICHAEL J ROBSON)
Date: Mon, 13 Jan 1997 23:07:12 EST
England is a cool place. notwithstanding being the place of my birth Id
enjoy it anyway.I went specifically to do two things
1)get some rest before having a nervous breakdown - achieved in four days
of almost uninterrupted sleep
2)Have a bit of MG fun  - I borrowed a friends 73 roadster which, despite
the unusual amount of snow and its lamentable condition (he promises -
this year...) got me around with only one fuel pump problem in 600 miles.
I went to Abingdon which I had not visited before, I suggest to the
faithful that Kimber House is worth visiting only if you happen to be in
the area - nuff said
I had wanted for some time to visit the Heritage Motor Centre in Gaydon
Warwickshire - This is one worth the trip from anywhere! - I arrived
promptly at ten when it opens, paid my 5.50 sterling parked outside the
main door and went in  - for two hours i was the only one there and by
four when i left there were maybe five other people there!
This place is  a real joy   - from an MG standpoint there are examples of
every model from "old number one" to the last roadster and bgt produced
in 1980- Oh and an MGF which I cant make my mind up about. the cars are
displayed on a main floor where you can walk all around them and whilst
of course one cannot touch, its possible to see answers to all the little
questions that come up from time to time!! - a particularly impressive
MGC(69) had no less than three Christmas Cards under the wiper that it
had received from admirers(very scary!)
Every major model from Rover, Austin, Morris, Riley, Standard, Triumph,
MG and Austin healey are there as well as the odd Rolls, Bentley, Leyland
etc and many concept cars, one-offs and specialties
there is an extensive library and an excellent(if pricy) shop -
Outside there are all kinds of other attractions which i didnt see since
it was freezing cold and snowing! - they have a web site which is worth a
look.

I really recommend this place if youre in the UK - I cant understand why
there are no Lotus there but then nothing's perfect!!

mike robson
69 roadster
70 BGT
72 roadster