boot seal

To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: boot seal
From: Scott Gardner <gardner@lwcomm.com>
Date: Wed, 15 Jan 1997 13:00:58 -0600
------------115C47F03D7A2

 > From: joseph_cianciotti@ccmail_gw.gmosf.com
> Subject: A rain free MGB
>
> I think I've finally solved all the leaks (interior and boot) in my
roadster.
> The last step is to replace the boot seal.  My questions: Although the
seal for
> '67 was on the lid, isn't the seal on the boot rim, as used on later
years,
> better? Can I switch? And finally, how do I remove the old seal?
>
> Joseph
> 67 roadster

Joseph,
    I don't know which is better, but my '72 has the seal on the opening
(not the original location), and it works fine.  As for removing the old
one, grab one end and pull.  When you put the new one on, put the seam
where the two ends meet at the lowest possible location.  That is, put
it in the middle, at the rear-most portion of the opening or the lid.
This will keep water from draining in.  I don't think you'll need
adhesive, at least not on the aperture, and keep in mind that if the two
ends don't quite come together, take it off and put it back on,
stretching slightly as you push it on to the lip.  The friction along
the ten feet or so of seal will keep it from shortening back up.
Scott

------------115C47F03D7A2

<HTML><BODY>

<DT>&nbsp;&gt; From: joseph_cianciotti@ccmail_gw.gmosf.com<BR>
&gt; Subject: A rain free MGB<BR>
&gt;&nbsp;<BR>
&gt; I think I've finally solved all the leaks (interior and boot) in my
roadster.<BR>
&gt; The last step is to replace the boot seal.&nbsp; My questions: Although
the seal for<BR>
&gt; '67 was on the lid, isn't the seal on the boot rim, as used on later
years,<BR>
&gt; better? Can I switch? And finally, how do I remove the old seal?<BR>
&gt;&nbsp;<BR>
&gt; Joseph<BR>
&gt; 67 roadster<BR>
<BR></DT>

<DT>Joseph,</DT>

<DT>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; I don't know which is better, but my '72 has the
seal on the opening (not the original location), and it works fine.&nbsp;
As for removing the old one, grab one end and pull.&nbsp; When you put
the new one on, put the seam where the two ends meet at the lowest possible
location.&nbsp; That is, put it in the middle, at the rear-most portion
of the opening or the lid.&nbsp; This will keep water from draining in.&nbsp;
I don't think you'll need adhesive, at least not on the aperture, and keep
in mind that if the two ends don't quite come together, take it off and
put it back on, stretching slightly as you push it on to the lip.&nbsp;
The friction along the ten feet or so of seal will keep it from shortening
back up.</DT>

<DT>Scott</DT>

</BODY>
</HTML>