268 miles of mush & salt

To: mgs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: 268 miles of mush & salt
From: barneymg@juno.com (Barney Gaylord)
Date: Sun, 19 Jan 1997 19:44:40 EST

Tired of staring at the snow?  It's driving time!

Had a club meeting in Champaign last night, another good excuse to take
the MGA for a cruise.  6dF on departure, -2dF on return, 268 mile round
trip, 8-10 foot high snow banks plowed up on the sides in places, parked
outside for 5 hours at 0dF and fired right up afterwards.

Two particular notes here.  The MGA is of course now covered with salt.
And, I think it's time to yank that 160dF summer thermostat in favor of
190dF unit for the winter.  The engine never quite warmed up enough to
run well in the cold air, had an occasional sputter.  And I experienced
something I hadn't noticed for a long time, never had to pulled the temp
control back from the big stove end of the dial.

Happy motoring,

Barney Gaylord -- 1958 MGA
Naperville, Illinois