BOUNCE mgs@Autox.Team.Net: global taboo body match "/WINMAIL.DAT/i"

To: mgs
Subject: BOUNCE mgs@Autox.Team.Net: global taboo body match "/WINMAIL.DAT/i" at line 31]
From: Mark J Bradakis <mjb>
Date: Wed, 22 Jan 1997 16:33:19 -0700 (MST)
From: "Brinkmann, Gerry" <brinkg@uf4124p01.BHeightsNJ.ncr.com>
Subject: Steering column
Date: Wed Jan 22 08:47 EST 1997

> Does anyone know if it is possible to put a steering column from a 1971 MGB
> into a 1964 MGB?  It looks like the later column mounts at the bulkhead
> differently than the earlier columns do.  I also don't know if the U joints
> are the same.

I put a steering column from a rubber-bumper car (1980 ??) in a 1962 MGB.
The 1980 clump is a collapsible, 2-piece steering column whereas the 1962
column is a 1-piece.

It is NOT a straight swap. What I did was to cut out 2 pieces of the 1980
and welded them to the 1962 body. The 2 pieces I am refereeing too are
the steering column support bracket right behind the dashboard and the
other piece if the part at the firewall through which the steering column
passes

This is NOT an easy conversion, you have to remove the completed
dashboard and in my cases I had the engine out of the car to do the
welding at the firewall. I would NOT recommend doing the conversion. The
reason I did it, is that I am fully intending to race the car and I think
a collapsible column is somewhat safer than a non-collapsible one

gerry