Re: exhaust seals - which way?

To: rmason@ro.com, mgs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Re: exhaust seals - which way?
From: "Jerry Causey" <reecau@whidbey.com>
Date: Thu, 23 Jan 1997 20:59:33 +0800
Rich Mason <rmason@ro.com> asked:

> I'm almost embarrassed to ask this, but I do not want to have to go back and
> fix it again so here goes...
>
> I had an exhaust leak at the exhaust manifold to head pipe.  When I removed
> the old seals, they were too burnt to tell which end goes up.  Does the
> tapered smooth surface face the manifold or the head pipe??

I asked this same question last year about the exhaust system on
my '67 B and received two (opposite) responses. I think the exhaust
system for your '73 is similar to mine. Close examination of a
photograph in my latest Haynes manual, and a drawing in an earlier
edition, convinced me that the metal side of the seal faces away from
the engine and manifold. Be sure to smear them with anti-seize
compound if you ever expect to remove them from the downpipes.

Jerry Causey - 1967 MGB GT
Whidbey Island, Washington, embraced by the Puget Sound
(fairly close to Seattle, and the rest of the USA)