MGB camshaft selection

To: mgs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: MGB camshaft selection
From: Jeff Fayne <fayne@ibm.net>
Date: Sun, 26 Jan 1997 22:13:12 -0600
The time has come in my engine rebuilding process to select a new
camshaft (the original shaft has several lobes/lifters badly pitted and
one lobe worn down ~ .030). I'd like to solicit opinions from the list
on which cam would be best suited for my purposes.

Some background: I'm currently in the process of a full engine rebuild
(usual rings/bearings/valve job; nothing exotic) on my 70 MGB. I'll be
using standard SU's/aircleaners and stock exhaust. I'm tempted to just
replace it with another stock cam, but if I can get a little more hp by
going up a step in camshaft, I will. I'd like to retain a fairly normal
idle, but would like a little more oomph, preferably in the low to mid
range. The car won't be raced or autocrossed, just your usual daily
driver.

I've been looking at the Kent 714 Mild Road cam (same spec's as the
Special Tuning 714 Fast Road cam) as a possible replacement and was
wondering if anyone has used this cam in a stock setup and would care to
comment?

Spec's according to Burgess' "Power Tune..." are:

                Duration        Valve Lift      Overlap         Timing  In
Ex
STOCK           252             .361            37                      16/56
51/21
Kent 714        270             .358            56                      26/65
60/30
Special Tuning  268             .358            53                      24/64
59/29
Fast Road 714

Burgess' comments on the Kent 714 are less than flattering: "A mild road
cam that's only good for high revs - doesn't seem to deliver anything!".
But I have a feeling he's looking more towards gaining more hp from some
serious power tuning with a more radical camshaft and pretty much
dismisses the less milder camshafts as usless.

Comments and suggestions welcome...

                                        Jeff