Re: Collector Car Values

To: mgs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Re: Collector Car Values
From: dmeadow@juno.com (David C Littlefield)
Date: Wed, 29 Jan 1997 23:55:23 EST
Last night I was reading the October, 1962 edition of Motor Trend
magazine and ran across something that seemed interesting in light of
this discussion.  The following came from a column called "Classic
Comments" by Robert J. Gottlieb (apologies for the length):

"A Bugatti Royale recently changed hands at a reported price of $16,000.
We have seen the car and it needs a complete restoration.

"For years we called all the shots on the price increases in the value of
classics.  The old laws of supply and demand were bound to force prices
higher.  There was one thing we didn't foresee-- an increase in prices to
a point where the average enthusiast cannot afford a car.

"We'll agree that the Royale is one of the most desirable and scarce
machines.  Originally, but seven were built.  But $16,000 seems
outrageous.  It is hard to conceive of any car, in unrestored condition,
being worth the money.

[and later in the same article]:

"We were extremely disturbed by one facet of the [Classic Car Club of
America annual Grand Classic] show [of July, 1962].  Some collectors no
longer restore cars as if they were automobiles.  They are restored as if
they were highly specialized electronic equipment.  These cars are not
driven on the streets; they are not even driven to the meets.  They are
transported in custom-built vans which would make a Dean Van Lines [?]
traffic manager green with envy.

"...They are gently pushed from the trucking van into position...They
receive better care than newborn infants...This sort of thing ruined
sport car racing and *many foreign car clubs* [emphasis added!].  The
average individual restores a classic and in addition to driving it to
and from a meet, drives it to and from the market.  Automobiles were
built to be driven, not coddled.  There is much to be said about judging
a car that is driven daily but which is in competition with a car that is
restored, then parked on a white carpet."

Hmmm.  The more things change, the more things stay the same.

David Littlefield
Houston, TX