TC rear hub oil leak - #1

To: Ross MacPherson <arm@unix.infoserve.net>
Subject: TC rear hub oil leak - #1
From: homestay@infolearn.com.au (Syl's Sydney Homestay)
Date: Thu, 30 Jan 1997 19:16:05 +1100 (EST)
G'day Ross

Thanks for your response to my oil leak problem.

I do have a copy of Mike Sherrell's book - it is indeed invaluable. What's
got me a bit tricked though is that I can't see how oil from a leaking lip
seal can get inside the hub.

I can see how such a leak will get oil straight onto your rear brake
linings - but this isn't my identical symptom.

The oil in my case is leaking into the inside of the wheel hub. I can olny
think that it is getting past the axle splines where they force fit into
the hub.

Interestingly though it is only on the one wheel. So what I shall do,
having regard to Mike Sherrell's theory on varying lengths of hub
extension, is measure the extensions on each hub and compare them with
another spare set of hubs which I have just to see what the extent of
variation is.

If there is a difference, as a first try I'll replace with the longer one
but I still have to tackle the spline leak I think.

I wonder what thickness shim is he suggesting?

I very much appreciate your offer to forward me a copy of the relevant
section, but I'm OK there - thanks for the offer though.

Paul