Re: Speedometer Help

To: tom.w.wagner@central.sun.com
Subject: Re: Speedometer Help
From: Gary Burrell <garyb@pentek.com>
Date: Fri, 31 Jan 1997 17:00:20 -0500
> Tom Wagner wrote:
>
> >Can someone out there tell me who stills
> >works on Smith Speedometers??  I need to find
> >0ut who can tell me what the correct number
> >scheme is for an OD Speedometer in the
> >68-74 range.  I have a 67 car with a 68-74
> >overdirve unit in it.
>
> Tom,

Good luck in finding a correct speedo as the size changed in the US
market in 68 due to the different dash (the speedo was smaller)  You
need a speedo that will fit in the old style metal dash, and has the
correct gearings.  Your best bet is to get the number from one of the
UK suppliers.  You then will have to find someone who will sell you
one without a core, as most of the suppliers I talked to when I was
trying to obtain the correct speedo for my 68 metal dashed (canadian
spec) B would not sell me one until I sent them one.  I ended up
finding one at a graveyard in rochester NY paying a ridiculess price
for it and finding out it didn't work.  I then sent it to the UK to
have it fixed at the places listed in Porter's DIY book.  If you
want I have the UK parts catalogs at home I can look up the number
for you.

Another option if you find out the right gearing is to have the
rebuilder change your old one for you.  If memory serves me correct
the 3 syncro is 1080 revolutions per mile as opposed to 1280 revs
per mile for 4 syncro.  Thus a 3 syncro speedo will read about 20%
high (actually 18.5%).

Gary Burrell
Design Engineer
Pentek Inc. One Park Way, Upper Saddle River NJ 07463
Phone: (201)818-5900  Fax: (201)818-5941 Email:garyb@pentek.com