Winter Driving [was Re: Running 6" Wide Minilites]

To: David Tietz <mgcats@sprynet.com>, mgs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Winter Driving [was Re: Running 6" Wide Minilites]
From: car@texas.net (Carol)
Date: Sun, 2 Feb 1997 03:32:37 -0600 (CST)
>195's may be too big, but they sure look nice... I get a lot of
>comments on the car since the conversion from the tatty old wire
>wheels I had. I can't tell any difference in the handling, but I am
>not the most observant of such details.

Tell me more about this conversion, David....If you will. (I NEVER thought I
would prefer disk bolt-on wheels to wires until I had to deal with them in
an "up close and personal" manner!!)

>For you folks up north, I took my '70 Roadster down to Sarasota (from
>St. Petersburg) last Sunday... upper 70's, NOT A CLOUD IN THE SKY, and
>going over the Sunshine Skyway Bridge was almost surreal... April
>can't be that far off for you guys, can it? (Make that May in
>Wisconsin, and June in northern Minnesota)
>
>Dave Tietz

Fie! Fie, on thee, David!! How inconsiderate to bring up driving in weather
like that just because you live in Florida!!

I certainly wouldn't boast about high '70s temps and beautiful blue skies.

-Nor would I say how much I enjoyed the Lil' Darlin's performance last
Sunday when I took her up into the deservedly-touted Texas Hill Country (her
first 'drive' since all the just-one-more part was installed and since the
weather finally cooperated).

-Or how well she drove on the prior Friday when I took her in for a new
exhaust, and then for a wheel balance. Or how neat it was having a
"difficult time" finding our way back to her 'nest' that night sans hood,
and me just wearing a windbreaker (over my other clothing!) to stave off a
bit of a wind chill.

-Or how ~great~ it was to take her out today and have her run a bit hotter
than I would prefer on a brief excursion under 78-degree sunshine into the
foothills of the Hill Country, and to meet other MG's en route, waving
greetings to each other as we passed.

-Or how exhilarating a nice long ride in a '78 Midget was about midnight
Saturday, hood off, windbreakers on!

Not me! I would never do a thing like that.  I should think such ramblings
would be rude and inconsiderate to those members of this list-club who are
sitting by the fireplace dreaming of spring.

To even things out within the group, I think you should be at home pondering
over low-temp, cloudy days, snow on the rooftops, and sitting in front of a
blazing fireplace in Vermont, Chicago, etc., just to get a ~feel! for winter.

Me?? Well, tomorrow it's supposed to rain.  ;-)

Carol