Re: Steering bushes, Pedals, electric cars

To: william.eastman@medtronic.com
Subject: Re: Steering bushes, Pedals, electric cars
From: britcars@juno.com
Date: Tue, 04 Feb 1997 19:54:57 EST
On Tue, 04 Feb 1997 14:07:44 -0600 William Eastman
<william.eastman@medtronic.com> writes:

>My MGA steering wheel moves around so I believe the felt bushings are
>hosed
>(is this the proper technical term?).  I would like to replace these
>bushings but have been frightened by all the talk of shim adjustements
>and
>special fixtures to get it aligned again.  Can I just pop loos the U
>joint,
>remove the adustable stubshaft and key, and horse the steering shaft
>out
>from the top?

Yes, this can be done without any fear of misaligning anything. (I just
replaced one myself this way a month ago.) However, the new felt seal
will be too thick to fit as supplied. My solution was to trim one short
edge of it by 1/4", then beat it on an anvil until the felt was
noticeably thinner. Then I greased it thoroughly until it could be pushed
into place and the upper shaft pushed back in place. You can determine
how much hammering is needed by trying to fit the seal from time to time.
When it eventually fits and allows the shaft (which is fatter at the top)
to push back in and turn smoothly, you've hammered enough.

Lawrie
British Sportscar Center