Re: Ignition Trouble

To: "HUTCHINS, JOE" <JHUTCHIN@nsc.msmail.miami.edu>
Subject: Re: Ignition Trouble
From: Robert Allen <boballen@sky.net>
Date: Wed, 05 Feb 1997 08:06:01 +0000
HUTCHINS, JOE wrote:

> I've been working on my '73B, which has not run since I bought it about six
> months ago.  In trying to get it ready to crank, I find I have an ignition
> problem which I would appreciate any help available from the list in
> resolving.
>
> I am getting no spark at all.   I replaced the points and condenser,  rotor,
> distributor cap, the ignition wires and even resorted to a new coil - all to
> no avail.
>
> The battery is adequately charged, the starter seems to be turning fine, the
> oil pressure climbs, but no spark!!!  - not even when the lead wire from the
> coil is held within a quarter inch of the engine block and the engine is
> cranked.
>
> Any assistance will be greatly appreciated.
>
> Thanks
>
> Joe Hutchins

Back to basics:

There is voltage to the '+' side of the coil?

Disconnect the '-' side of the coil.

Bring the high tension lead near ground and then short the '-' side of
the coil to ground. Each time the jumper touches ground, their should be
a spark.

No Spark? Coil or ignition wiring problem.

Hook the '-' wire back on. Remove distributor cap. Crank motor.

You should be able to see and hear an arc across the points and the high
tension lead off the coil should spark.

No Spark? Bad wiring from coil to distributor, bad condensor, or points
shorted to ground.

Just used up my nickel's worth. Let me know.

Bob Allen, Kansas City, '69CGT, '75TR6