RE: Adding overdrive to an MGA

To: <mgs@Autox.Team.Net>, <gaughan@highway1.com>
Subject: RE: Adding overdrive to an MGA
From: <larry.g.unger@lmco.com>
Date: Wed, 5 Feb 1997 11:35:37 -0500
>>I'm interested in purchasing a 61 MGA 1600. Were there
>>overdrives on these cars?  This particular one doesn't have
>overdrive ...

OD was not a factory option on the 'A'.

>>.. but if it's possible to add it, is it worth it? Is it a big job?

Fitting an OD to the 'A' would provide the same benefits as
those derived from fitting one to a 'B' ... improved high speed
crusin' ... IOW, it will substaintially reduce the rpm required
to run at interstate speeds.

To my knowledge, fitting an OD to the 'A' requires modification
of the tranny tunnel/mounting points to allow fitting of 'B' tranny
and OD. I'm too much of purist to have given this much thought,
but take a look at Doug Jackson's web site ...

 htttp://www.mgbmga.com/

... he will be able to give all the details reagarding the conversion
and offers a fiberglass tunnel.

Safety Fast! ... larry.g.unger@lmco.com