Re: Help! Brake retaining clip.

To: RJohn50603@aol.com
Subject: Re: Help! Brake retaining clip.
From: Bert Palte <vortex@worldaccess.nl>
Date: Thu, 6 Feb 1997 20:41:40 GMT
At 09:15 06-02-1997 -0500, you wrote:
>Paul, Ross,
>
>My son and I had a similar problem on his '76 Midget. I assume you are
>talking about the clip that holds the wheel cylinder to the back plate. The
>replacement clip was too big to fit in the space available and the old clips
>were not in good shape. We finally used a proper sized external snap ring(s)
>which we purchased at a very good local hardware store. They were hardened,
>smaller but, locked the cylinders in place quite nicely.
>
>R. Johnson - Dallas

Hi folks,

Been there, done that - about 10 years ago, on a friends' MGB.
The clips that came with the wheel cylinders were -like the new cylinders -
imitation parts of inferior quality (unmarked white boxes).
The cylinders didn't fit before drilling the location pin hole in the brake
back plate
and the clips didn't fit because they were thicker than the original and not
of the same steel grade (i.e. they broke in the middle).
The old clips didn't fit either because the machined diameter on the wheel
cylinders
was different (larger).
When we finally got the clips under control, the new cylinders started leaking.

Of course, this was one of the jobs that was delayed for a long time, so we
tried to fit them only _months_ after we had bought these wheel cylinders.
By that time, the supplier had gone of business...

Yeah, the wheel cylinders were cheap, but in the end we had to throw them
away and we had to do the same job twice... now using genuine Lockheed
parts ... you REALLY have to insist, because if you don't, they supply
imitation parts again...

Moral of the story: Be VERY specific about what you order!
I learned the hard way!

Bert