Re: MG Magnettes and others

To: mgs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Re: MG Magnettes and others
From: Rootes2@aol.com
Date: Fri, 7 Feb 1997 03:22:09 -0500 (EST)
There was a post inquiring about those of us "on the other side"......

Yes, folks, some of us march to the beat of a different drummer.

After many years of owning Sunbeams and Rootes Group cars, I decided to buy a
more "mainstream" LBC. But, since I am not the type to take the easy path and
buy an MGB or Tr***ph or some other car that you can rebuild from a catalog,
I purchased a very forlorn 58 Magnette ZB. And I love it. The car exudes
character from every curve, yet I can still get drivetrain parts at the local
furrin' car shop. The car is gradually progressing..... since it was last
on-road in 1981, and the engine was stuck, just the fact that I now have it
moving under it's own power is quite an achievement. And wood interior trim
refinishing is now my winter hobby.

I did, however shortly after the MG purchase, slip back to my old habits, and
purchased a 1972 Plymouth Cricket. And before anybody flames me, it IS TOO an
LBC! Anywhere else in the world, it would be a Hillman Avenger.

BTW, if anybody has a parts Magnette, and are interested in selling a few
spares, LET ME KNOW! They seem to grow on trees in CA, but here in NJ they're
scarce as honest politicians!

Jon Arzt                Rootes2@aol.com

58 Magnette    (closest to a mainstream car I'll get)
66 Sunbeam Alpine  (daily driver, for 15 years)
67 Sunbeam caravan ( camper, that is, also Brit)
72 Plymouth Cricket  (Chrysler UK, don't cha' know)