Re: Lowering 77MGB

To: Rick Jennings <ijsceva@kcnet.com>
Subject: Re: Lowering 77MGB
From: "Christopher M. Delling" <cdelling@srv2.ic.net>
Date: Sat, 08 Feb 1997 23:52:27 -0500
Rick Jennings wrote:

> Does anyone have any experience with lowering a rubber bumper car to chrome
> bumper level? Is it simply a matter of using the chrome bumper springs? What
> happens to the suspension geometry?
>
> I'm currently running 195/70-14's as furnished by the dpo. What is the
> difference in ht.
> between these and the 185/60-14's that I've seen recommended here?
>
> Thanks in advance for any advice.
>
> Rick Jennings
> (77 Mgb)
>
> (could be from Ian Jennings)

Rick-

I considered lowering my 77, but haven't done it yet.  Changing the
springs to the earlier spec will effectively lower the suspension, but
to do the job right you need to change the bump stops to have full
suspension travel.  Steering geometry will change somewhat, and the B
has no provision for changing anything but toe-in.  You can buy negative
camber lower a-arms, which will bring things back closer to original
geometry.  Brit-Tek offers complete kits for lowering suspension.

As far as tires are concerned:

195 70R 14 translates thus:

Tire tread is 195mm wide (~7.68")
Tire sidewall height is 70% of width (called aspect ratio) or ~ 5.38"
Wheel size is 14".
Tire diameter = (2 x Sidewall height) + wheel height = 24.76"

Compare to the 185-60R-14 at 7.28" wide, sidewall height of 4.37",
diameter of 22.74"

As a result, you acheive a lower ride height of ~ 1.1" (1/2 of the
change in diameter), and slightly lower final drive ratio.  The lower
aspect ratio 60 series tires will have less sidewall flex, meaning a
slightly harsher ride, but better lateral response and grip.

Hope this helps.

Best Regards,

Chris Delling