Re: air compressor lines - SAFETY

To: hstaton@ilnk.com, NamasteRH@worldnet.att.net
Subject: Re: air compressor lines - SAFETY
From: RJohn50603@aol.com
Date: Sun, 9 Feb 1997 21:46:14 -0500 (EST)
In a message dated 97-02-09 20:00:04 EST, hstaton@ilnk.com (Sam Staton)
writes:

 >>      Just bought a 7.5 hp Gardner Denver air compressor and i am getting
 >> ready to hook to up what type of lines should I use.  I have heard some
 talk about pvc lines or metal pipe does anyone know anything about this
setup
 who could give the basic of the advantages and problems any help would be
 appreciated>>

 >>   Dan Steunenberg
 >>   67 MGB
 >
 >The use of PVC sounds great, but can someone tell me how the pipes are
 >terminated (i.e., for tool hose connectivity)?
 >Rick Hoefle 1964 Tiger B9470508 - HIS
 >            1969 MGC            - HERS

Fellow enthusiasts,

I have followed this thread with interest... and concern.  One of the early
posters specifically mentioned that they had used a very heavy grade of PVC
that had a 300 PSIG rating. I didn't respond because this was more than
sufficient to stand the 125 PSIG that the piping was going to be subjected
to. However, this heavy a wall of PVC pipe isn't the kind you find in the
average hardware store or lumber yard. I don't have my reference materials
here at home but, that was probably schedule 80 or 160.

Everyone needs to be aware that there are lighter schedules of PVC pipe that
would be entirely unsuitable and, in fact, extremely dangerous for compressed
air service. The PVC pipe found at most hardware stores could be as light as
schedule 5 or 10 (for lawn sprinkler systems). These lighter schedules of PVC
could explode with the pressures developed by a small air compressor
resulting in deadly shrapnel that could seriously injure or kill someone.

Make absolutely certain the PVC pipe you use is up to the service you plan
for it. Personally, I wouldn’t use PVC in any compressed gas or air service.

R. Johnson - Dallas

'90 Maine Coon
'79 Midget
'76 Midget