Re: Smog and Electric Cars

To: Paul Hunt <on76@dial.pipex.com>, Geoff Love <engconn@infi.net>,
Subject: Re: Smog and Electric Cars
From: Ross Overcash <jroverca@tiac.net>
Date: Mon, 10 Feb 1997 05:57:35 -0500 (EST)
At 04:25 PM 2/9/97 GMT, Paul Hunt wrote:
>> ... as a schoolboy growing up in London. I regularly commuted to and
>> from
>> school on 'trolley' buses, red double deckers with long overhead
>> arms
>> sliding along wires suspended from poles to carry the current.  They
>> were very quiet, fast and efficient.  They were abandoned in favour
>> of
>> Diesel propelled double deckers in the name of greater
>> manoeuverability.
>
>I remember them as well, and I cannot for the life of me work out why trams
>are making a comeback, which require miles of track to be laid, and not
>trolley buses, which don't.
>

>PaulH
>73 Roadster (HD&H)
>75 V8 (DD)
>

>Paul,

We had/have? trolley busses (we called then trackless trolley's) In the
Boston, MA area while I was growing up.  Don't know if they still do, I kind
of doubot it!  They were located in certain sections of the service area.
Anyway as I understand it the reason trackless trolleys are out is because
of the trolley wire.  They are deemed unsightly by enough people and
dangerous too so ther goes the trackless trolley.

Ross Overcash, 74B, NAMGBR 2-1172, Ayer, MA.
http://www.tiac.com/users/jroverca