Re:

To: glen.christian@juno.com (glen christian), mgs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Re:
From: Ross Overcash <jroverca@tiac.net>
Date: Fri, 14 Feb 1997 07:11:40 -0500 (EST)
At 07:32 PM 2/13/97 EST, glen christian wrote:
>howdy folks,
>       i sent a message a while back, but i'm not too sure if it ever
>got through since i lost my other account a few days back. but i'm
>resubscribed now, so hopefully this will make it through.
>       anyways, my problem is my brakes. my front disc calipers to be
>specific. i went out a few days ago to figure out where this scraping
>noise was coming from and when i looked real close at the calipers, i
>found they were offset somewhat. in other words, as the rotor passed
>through the  caliper, it scrapes against one side of the caliper body. so
>the inboard piston extends all the way out, and the outboard one cant
>hardly extend  because the rotor is turning right up against the edge of
>the caliper body. the rotor itself has been galled a little from all of
>this. my question is, what the heck can cause this problem. i did have
>the calipers off while rebuilding my front end, but i'm almost positive
>everything went back together properly.  am i overlooking something?
>thanx in advance for any help that anyone can provide.
>Glen Christian
>Mechanical Engineer Graduate in search of Work
>glen.christian@juno.com

Glen,

I had a similare problem a while back.  There was an odd bumping/scraping
noise comming from my left front wheel area.  When I removed the wheel and
inspected the brakes I found that the disc seemed to be slighltly warped
which was causing it to hit one side of the caliper every revolution.  I
also disvovered that my calipers were not moving when the breaks were
applied.  Bled the system and still no movement.  So I dismanteled and
rebuilt the calipers (really just the pistons is all that is rebulidable, a
couple of  gaskets and a dust seal!).  Added new break pads and all is fine.
I still should replace the rotors but all is working fine so once again my
moto is if it ain't broke don't fix it!!

PS Not to question your intelligence but if you should decider to rebuild
the calipers, please do both sides!  I have made the mistake of not doing
both sides of a repair in tha past and you end up doing it anyway!!(it was
rear wheel cylinders).

Good Luck

Ross Overcash, 74B, NAMGBR 2-1172, Ayer, MA.
http://www.tiac.com/users/jroverca