Re: Clutch Creep

To: williem@mindspring.com, mgs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Re: Clutch Creep
From: RJohn50603@aol.com
Date: Sat, 15 Feb 1997 09:29:00 -0500 (EST)
Bill,

If your going to get into the clutch master / slave system, start with a new
hose unless you know it's relatively new. As far as what's leaking, there
should be some tell tale sign of the leak if you having to top off
frequently. These things sometimes last a while before they really go out. If
this is the case, you should be able to see the leakage on either the master
or slave and know before you open the system up. If there is no leak (and no
topping off) it's the master for sure.

In as far as rebuild vs new, if your bore is in resonable shape, a simple
honing will allow you to save quite a few bucks. I get about the same service
out of a rebuild as a new one. So you have the option of spending $70 to $90
or $7 to $9 plus the $10 for the hose.

If you decide to go the rebuild route, you will need a very small, two stone
hone like they use on VW wheel brake cylinders. The rebuild adds about 15
minutes to the job, with most of the time spent on removal, installation and
bleeding (the hydraulic system, not you).

I'm approaching a slave rebuild in the near future myself on my B.

Where did you get Mr. Twist's manual from?

R. Johnson - Dallas

'90 Maine Coon
'79 Midget
'76 Midget