Re: Cookies! / moral of story relative to MGs

To: drded@ix.netcom.com
Subject: Re: Cookies! / moral of story relative to MGs
From: miker15@juno.com (MICHAEL J ROBSON)
Date: Sat, 15 Feb 1997 11:54:44 EST
On Sat, 15 Feb 1997 08:27:25 -0600 (CST) drded@ix.netcom.com (David
Deutsch) writes:(snip)

>As related to MGs:About a year and a half ago, I stopped in a shop in
>Tuxedo, New York (which I now think very little of)known for it's
>advertising of MG services. They have a same showroom with a half
>dosen
>or so cars in it. On this particular day there was a Rubber Bumpered B
>
>with a Buick V8 in it. Nice car but it did need paint and interior
>work
>When I inquired of it's price and was told "18" I replied "I'll take
>it, here's $900 now I'll give you the other half tommorrow when I
>bring
>a flatbed." He then said "18 thousand, you wise$%*". If he had said
>"8"
>or "9" initially, I would have known that thousands was what he was
>referring to but in all honesty the car was worth closer to $1,800
>than
>$18,000.
>Safety Fast,
>David Deutsch

I know this place - its actually not that bad for service but they do
have a strange pricing policy for the cars -
A collleague of mine bought a Spitfire last summer (I know - i need to
train him more...).It had a bit of a rumble down deep and we suspected
the big ends.
Tuxedo (its called M+G)confirmed this and rebuilt the engine for about
$1500 including installing a manual choke and cleaning the whole engine -
the thing sounds wonderful, looks great and he's very happy! - However  -
They told him the car (a 78 1500 in godd condition but not a show car)
was worth about 7000 and that they'd consign it for him - since he'd paid
2200 and 1500 for the rebuild - and - since hes a trader and i did teach
him SOMETHING! he took them up on it and got basically free winter
storage - needless to say, the car isnt sold but its warm, dry and i
guess he'll get it back soon!!!!!

mike robson
69 roadster
70 BGT