Re: MGB Headers and Exhaust Systems

To: David Deutsch <drded@ix.netcom.com>
Subject: Re: MGB Headers and Exhaust Systems
From: "Christopher M. Delling" <cdelling@srv1.ic.net>
Date: Mon, 17 Feb 1997 14:34:09 -0500
David Deutsch wrote:

> First, I'd like to say that if the original exhaust manifold is in good
> shape I would not change it. If it's cracked or already gone by way of
> DPO then my first choice would be a Tex-Mil Header followed by the
> Ansa. I like the ansa exhaust system however I am going with a Peco 2"
> free flow on my current B project(75)but am leaving cast iron manifold.
> I've heard nothing good about Monza exhaust systems so I stay away from
> them. Give MG Bits and Spares a shot at price and reccommending of a
> system, 1-800-643-3482. You will definitely save $$ over the Big Guys
> (Moss, V.B. or TRF). Hope this helps, Safety Fast, David Deutsch
>
> You wrote:
> >

> >I'm wanting to buy some headers and matching exhaust system for my
> wife's
> >'76 MGB.  Anyone have any experience or opinions about the quality of
> the
> >various systems that are available?
> >
> >TIA,
> >
> >Chris Schroeder
> >'75 TR-6 ( http://users.net66.com/~rcs/tr-6.htm )
> >'76 MGB (the wife's toy http://users.net66.com/~rcs/mainB.html )

Chris-

Your post didn't mention what carb(s) you are using.  If the standard
Z-S is being retained, you really have no choice.  If you are running
S.U.'s or a Weber of some sort, I would agree with Mr. Deutsch's opinion
with the standard C.I. manifold from an early car.  When replacing my
Z-S with a Weber, I bought a header.  I wasn't very happy with it.

Many of the people who are credited with having a lot of expertise with
MGB engines feel that the stock C.I. manifold is quite good, except for
a highly tuned, race-prepped motor.

Regards,

Chris Delling