T-Type trailering advice.

To: mgs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: T-Type trailering advice.
From: pwmay@shore.intercom.net (Philip W. May)
Date: Tue, 18 Feb 1997 17:25:28 -0500
T Type owners. Need some help. Has anyone out there ever used the longest
U-Haul trailer to tow a TC somewhere? I looked at one today and they are 11
feet 8.5 inches inside, with a door width of 5 feet but actual trailer
width of 6 feet, 1 in. I'm buying a 1949 TC this summer in Calif. It has
been held for me for eight years by the widow of the man who restored it. I
just sold a house so have some extra toy money. This will be my 5th TC,
first being restored by me in Calif. 1959-61 when Al Moss was still on
Venice Blvd.

Have not had a TC for 20 years. Not crazy about paying U-Haul nearly $500
for open trailer. Plus too tempting to thieves when so much stuff can be
taken off the car when I stop at motels at night. The enclosed trailer is
only $219 one way. I'll be pulling it with a Jeep Grand Cherokee Ltd. with
a 318 cid V8 and full time 4wd.

I figure I'll have to build a grid of 2x4s on the aluminum floor to brace
the car from the tires. TC length in all books I have is 11 feet 7.5
inches. Width is 4 feet, eight inches. I may have to remove license plate
and rear taillights, maybe spare tire and cut a portion of exhaust pipe. It
should fit, but I'd like to know if anyone ever did this and how? Would be
a much better, cheaper, cleaner and safer way to bring the car home if it
could be done. Thanks for any information. Phil May