Re: City Code Harassment

To: atravis@spacey.net
Subject: Re: City Code Harassment
From: RFeibusch@aol.com
Date: Wed, 19 Feb 1997 02:32:54 -0500 (EST)
Aron Travis writes:
A fellow car nut(me) needs your help. Sorry it's non-brit
and not even askinned knuckles type of topic- but I figure
some of you must have had similar problems and could
offer solutions for me and any other car nuts who might
end up in my situation.
I've talked to many people and had as many different inputs.
You all seem to know what you are talking about.
 I'm being harassed by the 'code enforcement' goons from the city of Palm
Bay,Fl. I have a '64 Galaxie street/strip car parked in my driveway and
someone in the neighborhood
doesn't like it-they keep complaing to the city. This car is registered,
insured, and driveable. I was driving it approx.
once every two weeks, but haven't since Christmas
(because I'm recovering from holiday bills-know what I mean?). It is ugly,
usual faded mismatched panels, but no dents or rustouts, etc. I like it but
some jerk doesn't!
 Today I got my fourth visit from the city goons. The first two visits the
guys said that as long as it was registered and insured all was ok. On the
third visit the guy said that
someone complained that there was six junk cars in my driveway and a bunch in
my backyard. The guy had the guts
to admit that the complaint was obviously malicious as six cars could not
physically fit in my driveway and that he saw no cars or tire tracks in my
backyard (I never had a car parked in my backyard).
 BUT....the fourth time (today) the guy was a real jerk and issued a citation
and fine. Unfortunatly only my wife
was home and he bullied her more than he could of me.
He said that being registered, and insured was not good
enough and that he thought it was not driveable, and
that cars can't be up on blocks anyway. I have a very
sloped driveway and I put two bricks under the cars tires.
Thisis what the city moron called 'up on blocks'. The
car is a automatic and is in park, the parking brake works
but I don't use it as I drive it so infrequently that it will
size up, so I use the bricks as backup.

 Here are my thoughts at this point;
 There are many houses on my street that have nonrunning and
nonregistered
 cars parked in their driveways. I have talked to these people and they
 have never had any problems. The city code officers admitted that they only
enforce these codes when there's a complaint- Isn't this selective
enforcement when I'm the only one getting tickets?  Is there any way I can
find out who has been complaining about me?  How can I make this stop in a
permanent fashion? I've only lived here a year and a half!     -Aron Travis-

Aron -
First go down to city hall and get a copy of all laws and ordenences that
pertain to registered and running cars
parked on both the street and in the driveway.  Learn what
is and is not legal.  There are no grey areas that are up for
any city official or police officer to interpert.  A judge is required to
uphold the exsisting laws or have the city change them.
A word to the wise.  Be sure that your car runs OK, is not overly noisey and
IS insured, even with low cost collectors
car insurance and be ready to show proof of this at all times.
A cheap form of insurance is to paint the car gray or flat
black primer and polish the chrome and have a clean set of plated or painted
wheels or some shiny hubcaps. Always
run a set of clean, straight and framed license plates.
Get some "REAL" pro wheel blocks and don't use anything
that looks like building materials.  Know your rights,
prepare your car and your case and you can't lose,
unless they can change the laws.  Even if they do, you
can change what you are doing to comply.
If you still have continued trouble from the city, there
is a city board that will look into exactly why you are
being harrassed.  If you have done a number of stupid
people tricks to comply with the law and can prove it,
and the keep on you, it IS harrassment!  Good Luck!
See you on the Funway!
Rick Feibusch
Automotive Journalist/Appraiser
http://www.EnglishCars.com/rick.html
mailto:RFeibusch@aol.com
61 Minor pickup
60 Minor Saloon
59 Minor Convertible
69 Chevelle Malibu 350
Take pictures of everything to document what the car looks