FW: Steering wheel for '54 Magnette?

To: "'mgs@autox.team.net'" <mgs@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: FW: Steering wheel for '54 Magnette?
From: Jay Johannes <jayj@hplvlnt3.lvld.hp.com>
Date: Fri, 21 Feb 1997 08:29:24 -0700
> My brother just got a '54 Magnette (currently his best guess at the
> date) and it is pretty clean and straight.  The only really=20
irritating
> feature is that it has a Pep Boys SoCal steering wheel.  What is=20
the
> proper steering wheel for this buggy?  TD? TF?  Three-banjo? Four?

=D8     A. B. Bonds

A Magnette wheel is unique and fairly complicated.  It is a three=20
banjo style which is dished about 4 inches. What your brother needs=20
includes the wheel itself, and also a horn ring (most of these I see=20
are broken), and a complicated stator tube which holds the turn signal=20
upright as the wheel turns.  I have also found the plastic center=20
emblem impossible to find (anybody have one they would be willing to=20
part with?).

I have a spare wheel in iffy condition.  It has some cracks and would=20
need to be restored.  It does have a good horn ring.  However, I don't=20
have a spare stator assembly.  I have never seen on intact on a=20
junkyard car, so I suspect that this is a high failure item.   NTG=20
does sell most of the parts, although to get them all right would be=20
quite pricey.

  Good luck with it,
        Jay Nemeth-Johannes