Re: 1500 cc Engines and Strombergs

To: mgs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Re: 1500 cc Engines and Strombergs
From: Peter Schauss <schauss@worldnet.att.net>
Date: Sun, 23 Feb 1997 04:17:34 +0000
>My car is a 1975 Midget 1500 with the Triumph 1500cc engine
>same as the Spitfire.

>  My Stromberg is the usual 150CD, and works alright but like
>any one of that age, could probably use a once-over. The
>dashpots empty themselves fairly quickly, for example.

If this is your only problem, it's a rather simple fix.  The mixture
adjusting screw in the bottom of the dashpot has an O-ring which
is supposed to keep the oil from leaking out.  Yours is probably worn
and needs to be replaced.

Replacing is pretty simple:

1.  Get a new adjusting screw and O-ring from Moss or VB.  I haven't
checked recently but they were available five years ago when I did
this on my MGB.  You will want a new screw in case you damage the old
one trying to remove it.

2.  Remove the dashpot and diaphram from the carb.

3.  Remove the needle from the bottom of the dashpot.

4.  The adjusting screw is held in place by a star-shaped clip with
teeth holding it to the inside of the tube.  The trick to getting it out
is to push it out a bit by tapping on the adjusting screw from below
(through the hole where the needle was).  (This is why you want to have
a new screw on hand, in case you botch the threads on the old one.)

5.  Once you have the clip up a quarter inch or so, you should be able
to grap it with a suitable probe and pull it out.  If you can get it to turn
sideways, it will just fall right out.

6.  Reassemble the whole thing with your new adjusting screw and
O-ring, using a "suitable drift" (as they say in the manuals) to
replace the six-pointed clip.

Here is a diagram.  Sorry about the bad ASCII artwork.

                       |     |
                       |     |
                       |     |<--- dashpot guide tube
                       |     |