Stretchin' Tonneaus!

To: kgstuart@juno.com, jeremy.baxter@parallax.co.uk
Subject: Stretchin' Tonneaus!
From: Nick Benson <NBENSON@ci.fort-collins.co.us>
Date: Tue, 25 Feb 1997 08:59:01 -0700

>>> RANDELL S KEGG <kgstuart@juno.com> 02/24/97 08:30pm

I have not personally done this, but someone posted this
technique to the
list some time ago. Apparently the idea is to hang the fabric by
one end
and tie two cinder blocks to the other end.   Let it hang like that for
a couple of days. The guy said that he gained an inch to the
length of his cover. If you try it, please let us know if it worked......

                        *  *  *  *  *
This method would probably work at the right temperature.
My first job was in a shoe factory so I know that vinyl will stretch
under load.  You have to look how the backing is glued on
though.  In shoes, the "cotton" weave backing is glued on in such
a way allowing the shoe to stretch across its width, but not heel to
toe.  I'll have to look at the reverse side of my tonneau to see how
it's made.  Nevertheless, over this area and length, I would bet that
this cinder block method will definitely work, (at room
temperature.)

Nick D. Benson
Dept. of  Construction Management and Manufacturing
Technology
Colorado State University
Fort Collins  CO