RE: Rover 99

To: epotter@gvhs.gov.bc.ca
Subject: RE: Rover 99
From: mmcewen@gpu.srv.ualberta.ca (John McEwen)
Date: Tue, 25 Feb 1997 19:31:36 -0500
>Any more Info. on this mystery car?

Yes.  I looked at it today.  It is, as I thought it might be, a Rover 90.
It has an incorrect two-tone paint in brown over beige which was poorly
done.  The interior has some very ghastly re-upholstered side panels in
some sort of velour.  The seats look quite nice in what appears to be
original tan vinyl, however I suspect they are not from this car as I think
Rover had leather at this time.  The seats don't look reupholstered.  The
rear seat has a pull-down armrest.  The odometer shows 95,000 miles.  The
radiator badge is missing but everything else is complete.  All hubcaps are
present.

The body is shaky with poor paint showing rust beneath.  There is recurring
rust in the lower front quarters and rust forming above the headlights at
the base of the fender-mounted indicator lights.  The trunk floor is rusted
through below the opening and the spare tire well has no door and is
rusted.  The floor is covered with ugly brown carpet and I didn't kneel in
the mud to check from the underside.  Body work is average with a fair
amount of bondo suspected.  Under the hood, the engine compartment has been
"detailed" with a spray can.  The engine appears complete and should run.
The air cleaner and connections are in the trunk with the oil from the air
cleaner draining onto the rubber mat.

Do you know if the seats were leather?  If not they may be original.  They
seem to fit well enough.

I think it's a good $500 to $1,000 car as it sits.  If it runs and sounds
ok it might be worth $1500 but it will need lots of TLC, body work and
paint.  I didn't talk to the people in charge to confirm the price but my
source is usually correct.  I can make further enquiries if anyone is
interested.  Note that the numbers I am quoting are Canadian dollars.

John McEwen