Politicians

To: mgs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Politicians
From: FunE4MG@aol.com
Date: Thu, 27 Feb 1997 15:54:10 -0500 (EST)
Hey listers,
Here I was lying in bed this morning and this thread of politicians and smog
laws and old cars jumped into my brain.  Seems that there are at least 3 ways
you can get attention from the powers that be. You can have a negative impact
thru unlawful action, you can write a bunch of letters, or you can hire a
lobbyist to wine,dine,golf etc.etc. and present your case.
I've thought up another way to "Impress" the politicos that is better for
imparting the feeling we all get when enjoying our LBC's.
Now, we all have to balance our work schedules, budgets and fun schedules
together right? What about the lawmaker?  I'm sure that Quentin Kopp and his
like have to get away from work once in awhile.
Why don't we, as car groups, INVITE these guys and gals to our events?  Let
them see and feel first hand that we're not a bunch of degenerates
irresponsibly poluting the countryside and ticking off the "Respectable
Citizenry."  There have been countless letters (no doubt) to our
representatives in the various legislatures, how many politicians have shown
up at events like an All British Car Day, or a GOF or a regional meet?
We won't know if they're interested in communicating with their constituents
until we take the time to get them where we can talk to them.
If we invite them, will they come?  This remains to be seen, but at least
they'll get an idea that we are out there.
Too much thinking before my coffee.
Cheers,
Tom