Re: MGF Sighting in U.S.

To: MG List <mgs@Autox.Team.Net>,
Subject: Re: MGF Sighting in U.S.
From: "Michael P. Ohleger" <mikeoh@bellatlantic.net>
Date: Thu, 27 Feb 1997 19:19:41 -0500
Christopher M. Delling wrote:

> Hello all!
>
> I was visiting a customer (GM Delphi) in Saginaw MI, yesterday.  Pulled
> into the visitors lot to find the only open spot was next to a BRG MGF!
>
> Interesting that the car was a LEFT HAND DRIVE vehicle, sporting a
> manufacturers plate, and had a parking sticker for GM Proving Grounds in
> Milford, MI.  I asked around, and nobody seemed to know anything about
> it, but it may be an encouraging sign that the little bugger might make
> it to these shores!
>
> Best Regards,
>
> Chris Delling

I NEW it had to be sooner or later!!  I found that Rover is definitely
exporting to the mainland (Europe) with France getting the first batch.
 When I first drove one in york back in '95, the dealer, a fine gent
named Peter Moorhouse, suggested that I "Gray Market"  one back with me
when Rover begins to make LHD models.  I checked into this prospect and
found that the US safety and smog laws for the importation of limited
exotics were very stringent, but that the MGF should pass all cleanly IF
the car came from Switzerland.  I've been looking for just that option
to no avail, since the popularity, scarcity and cost has been so great
over there.

Pretty neat tho'.  I wonder where the guy's going to get "factory
service"?

Michael Ohleger
'67 MGB
'70 MGB