Re: TD Fuel Sender

To: mgs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Re: TD Fuel Sender
From: Chip Old <fold@mail.bcpl.lib.md.us>
Date: Fri, 28 Feb 1997 00:26:01 -0500 (EST)
On Thu, 27 Feb 1997, Robert J. Donahue wrote:

> With the gas tank off of my TD for painting, I decided it would be a good time
> to see why my low fuel warning light is not working. I discovered that the DPO
> had coated the tank without removing the sender. It looks like the cartoon
> scene where the character gets covered with cement and turns into a statue.
> In a recent post there was a complaint that the new replica senders leak. Do
> all the new ones leak? Now my old one is undoubtedly the original, and with
> a little work I may be able to get the arm free again. Now I'm guessing that
> the shaft that the float arm connects to must have some kind of seal. Is
> this libel to be bad or do they last forever? What I'm really asking is if
> it's worth while trying to resurrect the old sender.

There are no seals on the shaft.  There are two areas of potential
leakage:  The gasket between the sending unit body and the tank, and the
gasket under the sending unit cover.

On old units the mounting flange tends to be warped from overtightening of
the mounting screws.  You can sometimes dress it down with a file, but
this thins the flange, making it even more prone to warping.  A thick,
well cemented gasket will usually solve the problem.

The steel cover is also likely to be warped from overtightening.  This can
be dressed down without costing much strength.  Again, a well-cemented
gasket is required.

Don't worry about lack of seals on the shaft.  The shaft was never meant
to be leakproof.  Fuel will get into the switch area no matter what you
do.  It's up to the cover gasket to keep it from leaking out.

Chip Old                      1948 M.G. TC  TC6710  NEMGTR #2271
Cub Hill, Maryland            1962 Triumph TR4  CT3154LO (daily driver)
fold@mail.bcpl.lib.md.us

If cars had evolved as fast as computers have, by now they'd cost a
quarter, run for a year on a half-gallon of gas, and explode once a day.