LBC rollbars

To: mgs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: LBC rollbars
From: "Richard H. Cady" <cadyxrh@ctxix.sod.eds.com>
Date: Mon, 3 Mar 97 17:04:18 PST
Hi All,

My 1970 MGB roadster is pretty much stock and appears that way except for
having a roll bar.  I believe the bar would provide some protection if I
ever did roll the car.   The 2" x .120" bar is securely mounted with 1/4"
steel pads reinforcing both sides of the sheet metal below the bar and
bolted with grade 8 bolts.

The reason that I am writing is because I am contemplating removing the roll
bar because I feel it diminishes from the classic lines of the car.  The
roll bar seems to give the "impression" that the vehicle is souped up.  One
thing I can't stand are modifications that only "look performance".  Of
course a roll bar only adds safety - no performance can ever be gained from one.

Removing the roll bar would bring the car back to looking more stock - but
at what cost? Granted the chance of an accident where I would use the roll
bar is unlikely, but this chance does exist.  The chances are probably
increased since I like to drift it through corners when the opportunity
presents itself.

I guess I'm extending an invitation for flames on the idea of removing the
roll bar.
Any ideas on this topic are requested to help convince me what a bad idea it is.

Thanks,

Rich
1970 MGB roadster

(My apologies as this thread went around 4-5 months ago, but I only caught
the very
end of it.)