My "one that got away" story.

To: mgs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: My "one that got away" story.
From: "Jason F. Dutt" <simjason@ix.netcom.com>
Date: Mon, 03 Mar 1997 17:46:03 -0500
I'm not sure that the title of this message is entirely appropriate, as
I had no REAL intention of buying this car, but it's worth the post.

        Driving (incidentally, in my 72 B) down SR 94 just outside of the
quaint little town wherein I reside, I noticed, out of the corner of my
eye, the curvacious lines of an undeniably British car, parked in the
reeds in front of an old, fallen barn.  I slowed up a bit to catch a
better look...then I saw the boxy grille with the insignia "MG" on the
top.  Yes, friends, it was a faded red MGA roadster, of what year I
never got to find out for sure (I don't know the cars well enough to
tell just by looking on the outside).
        I had to pull over to check it out.  There's just something in me that
won't allow me to pass by a British car without taking a look.  It was
night-time, so a close inspection was inhibited, but a quick once-over
showed what seemed to be a car that probably lived in that barn for many
years.  How many, I was soon to ponder over, for the rusty licence plate
on the rear bumper revealed a date... "Michigan...'64".  Yes, the car
was still wearing 1964 issue licence plates.  My gut turned.  This
once-beautiful car had been, in all likelyhood, sitting around since
1964.  I then started puzzling over a few things, like "I wonder how
many miles the engine has on it." and "I wonder if the engine is even in
it!"  My final thought was, "Tomorrow, I'll find out."
        Alas, today was tomorrow, and what, as silly as it may sound, will
always be "my" MGA, is gone.  I tried to contact the possible owners (a
farmhouse near the barn), but no one was home.  I'm going to ask them
about the car.  MAYBE they just put it away somewhere...?

Regards,