Re: Exhaust Manifold Gasket Question

To: "Christopher M. Delling" <cdelling@srv2.ic.net>
Subject: Re: Exhaust Manifold Gasket Question
From: Rich Mason <rmason@ro.com>
Date: Fri, 07 Mar 1997 10:39:18 -0500
At 10:14 AM 3/7/97 -0500, you wrote:

>I am fitting an old-style C.I. exhaust manifold to my 77B.  I have
>ordered the new lower pipe, and the gaskets that fit between the lower
>pipe and the manifold.  Looking at the gasket, it has a metal shell
>holding an asbestos like sealing material.  I am trying to determine if
>there is a "right side up" - i.e. should the metal shell face the
>manifold of the lower pipe flange?  I hope this makes sense - tough to
>explain clearly.

Chris-

I know exactly what you are talking about - I went through this about six
weeks ago.I received 4 responses - evenly split - so I emailed John Twist.
His reply (and I quote):

   "The good gaskets are supplied with the silver, metal side
   and an asbestos side.  The SILVER side is fitted DOWN so that
   the more flexible ASBESTOS is fitted UP against the manifold.
   I usually coat the metal band of the gasket, as well as the
   corresponding section of the exhaust pipe with nickle anti-seize
   so that it is easily removed next time. Fast Forward!"

Of course - I installed them the wrong way before I received John's reply (I
just had to get the car on the road!)- so I got a new set of gaskets that
are just waiting for installation some rainy weekend.

Regards,

Rich Mason
e-mail-> rmason@ro.com
www----> http://ro.com/~rmason