Using a lighting board makes my indicators strange...

To: mgs@Autox.Team.Net, as@boris.umds.ac.uk
Subject: Using a lighting board makes my indicators strange...
From: Simon.MATTHEWS@st.com
Date: Wed, 12 Mar 97 08:48:48 +0100
     Andy,

     you may want to consider that most of the replies have come from N.
     America!

     From my days of towing boats (and modifying cars for this purpose) in
     the UK, I seem to recall that if you have a lighting board, you must
     (to be legal) have some indicaton that the indicator bulb is actually
     working.

     If you put in a hazard warning type flasher, you will have no
     indication that  the additional idicator bulb is working and (worse
     still) you will not have any indication that the car's own indicator
     bulb is working when the lighting board is not connected.

     If you put in a heavy duty flasher, it probably won't indicate failure
     of the lighting board bulb.

     Solution -- go to your local Halfords and ask what they have. Probably
     a relay with connections for both an additional indicator bulb and a
     separate warning light to be fitted on the dash.

     And to those Americans who express surprize that this might be
     required -- check your own codes -- I would be very surprized if it is
     legal to drive with your license plate and/or tail lights obscured. It
     is just that observance of such laws is less than in the UK!

     Regards,
            Simon