Re: MGB GT as daily driver ?

To: Simon Bosworth <simon@hpi50.dsddhc.com>
Subject: Re: MGB GT as daily driver ?
From: Jim Boyd <gumby@joshuanet.com>
Date: Mon, 17 Mar 1997 08:11:08 -0800
Hey Simon:

A Happy St. Paddy's Day to ya in MN!

At the challenge of a former supervisor, I drove my '67 MGB GT for 25,000
miles in one year!

I had done a good job of going over the car, cosmetically as well as
mechanically.  No engine rebuild!  He had owned a MGB before, still knows
little about working on a car and told me I would get very familar with the
AAA driver in our area!

I should have put some money on this deal, but alas, maybe my faith was a
bit shaken!

All I did during that year was put gas in the tank, a tad bit of oil here
and there, and of course, hydraulic fluid in the appropriate places.  It did
get warm during summer, and the single speed wipers aren't that great
either.  I love the LH overdrive that the previous owner had installed and
had no problems with that, either!  The rear hatch sure has the ability to
hold lots of stuff!  Headers and a Weber DGAV make it even more fun!

The car was recently given to my oldest daughter on the arrival of her 16th
birthday.  A good thing here is that the car can only realistically carry 2,
maybe 3 people, unlike a roadster.  Although a bit worn on the edges, she is
excited to have her own set of wheels.  Her friends all think it is "a cool
car".  I guess the Tartan Red paint helps a bit in that area, too!  Still no
engine rebuild seen in the future!

At 6'2". I find that there is plenty of leg/head room.  I have a set of '73
seats installed, which seem to give bettter thigh support.  The steel dash
is great to look at, too!

Good luck!

Cheers,

Jim Boyd
Paradise, CA

I always enjoyed having people come over and look at the car when getting
gasoline at the station.