Re: Cold Red Light

To: ckr <ragthyme@fls.infi.net>
Subject: Re: Cold Red Light
From: Eddie Sheffield <sheffield@telos.com>
Date: Mon, 17 Mar 1997 12:30:40 -0500
ckr wrote:

> Friends:
>
> I've got a little puzzler for you all.  Here are the facts:
>
> When my MGB starts in cold weather, the red dash indicator (alternator)
> comes on, and stays on (nearly as I can tell) until the choke cuts out.
> It waxes and wanes in intensity, depending (absurdly enough) on how hard
> I'm punching the throttle ... more punch, less glow; less punch, more
> glow. (!!!)  It's also worse at night, when I have the lights on, though
> it does happen during the day.  This only happens when the temp is
> below about 35F, and, oddly enough, totally goes away when the car has
> warmed up.  It doesn't otherwise seem to affect performance (though the
> car backfires like bloody hell when it's cold).

Hi,

A copule of suggestions:

1) Check and clean as many connections as you can. Sometimes a bad
connection will improve with heat.
2) I'd also investigate the voltage regulator. I had similar problems in
a Dodge Omni once and changing the regulator fixed it.

Others will probably have some better ideas. Let us know what you
finally come up with!

Good Luck,

Eddie

'67 Midget (in pieces)