Re: FW: Pinion seal replacement?

To: mjb@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Re: FW: Pinion seal replacement?
From: kgstuart@juno.com (RANDELL S KEGG)
Date: Mon, 17 Mar 1997 18:50:07 PST
You can replace the pinion seal without disturbing the alignment of the
pinion and ring gears. Replacement does involve some significant work.
The pinion nut  has a particular torque value, and a torque wrench will
be needed to properly tighten it.  You will have to make a tool to hold
the driveshaft flange, as you loosen or tighten the pinion nut. Think of
it as a piece of angle iron that has holes drilled in it to bolt up to
the driveshaft flange. The other end will rest on the concrete floor.
This will keep the flange from turning. Just remove the nut, washer and
driveshaft flange. Replace the seal, and reassemble.  The trick to this
job is having the right tools.......

Randy Kegg
1958 MGA
1966 Morris Traveller